Saturday, June 21, 2014

The thing that couldn't die

If someone drops an atom bomb three things are sure to survive: Roaches, Twinkies and 70's Schwinn 10 speeds. 
Schwinn had been making the Varsity and Contenental several years before the bike boom of the 70's but the oil embargo made these and many other bikes a staple in garages across the country. Heck, in my neighborhood if I ride through the alleys and someone happens to have their garage door open, the chances are pretty good I'll spy a Varsity hanging up in there. 
Unlike today's light road bikes, the Varsity  and the Continental (referred to often as Varsental due to the fact they were very similar. The Continental has some slightly better components) could weigh up to 40 lbs. Why? Because Schwinn had the reputation as the best and the best meant built to last. Possibly over built. Search bikes on craigslist.....go on, I'll wait. 

How many Varsinentals did you see? 
I saw 5, and that was just from this week.  
I bet they are in great shape too? How many other things that are 40 years old look that good? I sure don't. 
How many ads say "vintage" or even "rare"? Is it vintage? I guess so, it's old, does that count? Rare? No way, Jose! 
By the way, people find these bikes in Uncle Fred's basement and think they struck gold. Just because it's old doent mean it's gold. Never pay more than $50 for one of these bikes. Even that is generous. Don't get me wrong, these bikes are rideable, enjoyable and completely indestructible,  but there were so many made that there's a good chance that at least once in your lifetime you'll end up with one of these bikes for free.
  Another thing I discovered...you can spend time and money on fixing up a Varsental and what you end up with is a slightly lighter Varsental. 
I came across mine the usual way we come across bikes. An old friend was cleaning out he parents basement. She knew I futzed around with bikes and asked me if I wanted either of her dad's bikes. I asked her the usual questions that nobody who isn't into bikes can answer but all I got was "one is a Schwinn, that's good, right?" 
I came over and saw a pristine and completely original silver 1978 Schwinn Continental. I also saw a hand built 1980 Mercian. I tried to play it cool but her dad saved EVERYTHING - including the Mercian's recipt. She found it and when she realized dear old dad paid $900 for the bike she decided she's sell it.
Look, I'm an honest guy but if she didn't find that recipt that little devil on my shoulder would have totally talked me into havering her sell it to me for $100. 
But I'd feel really bad about it. 
This is the bike as found. Stuff was stiff because it hadn't been ridden in years but there was no rust. There was barely a paint chip. The tires were old but I bet they were rideable. I already had 27 inch alloy rims with newish tired so I swapped out the chrome rims just because I could. 
I got a one peice triple chain ring from a low end mountain bike and replaced the derailures with lighter shimano tourney parts. Cheap? sure, but they work fine. 
New tape and old brooks and I was ready to roll! 
Thing is, I hated it. 
I could not get used to the drop bars. I know the spandexy bike shops will tell you that the bike doesn't fit and they'll fit you on a contraption for an gigantic amount of moola but I wasn't racing and this is a continental for crying out loud. 
 I hated the feeling of being bent over. My back hurt, my neck hurt and I couldn't see where the hell I was going. I had a crappy AMF 10 speed as a kid that I rode until it fell apart but I was in my 40's and I don't bend like that anymore. 
I made a few more tweaks. I got a freakishly long stem making the bike look awkward, but a lot easier on the back and neck. I also got one of those one peice to 3 peice bottom bracket thingamabobs. It lightened it up a little but still....it's a continental. 
Here's a thing about those adapters, mine didn't fit at first. I wacked the crap out of it with a mallet and it was just too big. I took them to my bench grinder and ground off a little and they fit fine. 
The crankset, by the way, is also shimano tourney. 
I rode this beast for about a year until I came across a 80's schwinn world sport (made by giant). I traded my conti for a set of wheels. I think I got the better deal. 
 Remember, there is nothing wrong with these bikes. You can leave them as they came off the Chicago line and ride them for the rest of your life, pass it on to your kids and they'll ride it until they're too old and so on and so on. Someday they'll refer to a lemon yellow varsity as a family heirloom. 
I've got more bike news coming up so until then, lift with your legs 

No comments:

Post a Comment