Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Bike bug diary part one

Over the last few years I've become obsessed with the velosolex moped.... Which isn't really a moped in the conventional sense it's more of a cyclemoteur. Anyhoo they do show up on CL from time to time but they are either way over priced or in pieces in a moldy old Falstaff beer box.
There are a ton of friction drives out there but most look like you have a lawnmower strapped to your bike.
Tanaka had a bike engine that had a little bit of awkward elegance to it . It was called tas spits, bike bug, little devil or as the one I have, Sears Free Spirit.

It's not without it's problems it needs a new gas cap,
Primer Pump Kit,
Fuel Pump Kit,
Air Filter ,
Drive Wheel,
Fuel Lines  and I'm planning to put an electronic ignition on this to replace the points and condenser. 


All the parts I need are available from a guy in Houston. I recon it will take me another 200 to get it up and running again. I consider it tuition to learn a new skill. I've never worked on small engines before and I think it may be a handy skill to learn. Plus, as I said previously,  I have a need for slightly increased speed. 
I'm hoping to put it on this bike 
This means I have to remove the v brake mount and put the old brake on. 
I needed a project and I've got one! 
More to come. Until next time keep your gears greased

No comments:

Post a Comment