Sunday, September 13, 2015

Bike Bug Diary part 2

Yes, Yes, I know....
Ok, where was I?
oh yeah - the Bike Bug.
I got all the needed parts from Mike at bikebug.net . It wasn't cheap but I felt it was cheaper than tuition to a trade school and I wanted to learn 2 stroke engines.
I was inspired by this image I found on Pintrest.
I had that typhoon frame I wasn't sure what to do with so I decided to give it the military style olive drab paint job. maybe it's because I'm a sucker for earth tones or maybe its because I'm a flag waving, gun totin' Jesus loving patriot, (wait, I'm an Irish Catholic Democrat...forget what I just said) but I love the look of an all olive drab bike. If takes away missed matched parts and matches all of them. It can make the newest bike looks like it stormed the beaches of Normandy and lets face it, if you are sloppy with a rattlecan, it hides a bunch of imperfections. I added a rear fender, a light and a speedo that never did work right along with a few other do-dads and I got this
Not a bad looking bike if I must say so myself. By the way I am a sucker for green and tan on a bike, along with black and tan (witch is also a wonderful drink for us Irish Catholic Democrats).
So here is my "Army Bike". It has a 3 speed Shimano rear coaster. it rode great as is but the reason I painted it in the first place was to put the bike bug on it so I went to work getting the bike bug ready.

All the parts I needed arrived and I go the engine put together. It was rough going since I had no idea what I was doing but I was able to email Mike and he was helpful in getting her up and running. Soon I had a cool, almost legitimate looking friction drive motor bike.
Pretty Sweet, Huh? I made a little video about it too, Wanna see it?

Is it fast? No. Do I look cool on it? Oh hells no. Is it fun? Sure. Is it practical? not really, but I brought something that was dead back to life. I saved it from the scrap heap and that's not nothing. 

This little engine was just another gateway drug to other things...and they are on their way, stay tuned




No comments:

Post a Comment